Key Benefits of the Leica Q3
- First ever 60MP BSI CMOS
Sensor with Triple Resolution Technology in a Leica Q camera, allowing for
14 stops of dynamic range and digital zoom options up to 90mm
- New Maestro IV Processor
with 8GB of buffer memory
- New state of the art
Hybrid Autofocus system with Contrast and Phase Detection autofocus with
eye, face, body and animal tracking
- New tiltable backscreen
with 76% increase in resolution compared to the Leica Q2
- New EVF with 56%
increase in resolution compared to the Leica Q2, now identical resolution
and framerate as the Leica SL2 & SL2-S viewfinders
- New Ports: HDMI for
video recording & USB-C for charging and data transfer
- 8K resolution output and
ProRes video support
- New battery with 18%
more power than previous generation
- First ever full-frame
camera with wireless charging capabilities
- 10x faster wireless
transfer speeds to the Leica FOTOS app with embedded MIMO Technology
- IP52 Weather Sealing
- New accessories to
customize the look and feel of the Leica Q3
- Handmade in Germany
Full-Frame Sensor and Maestro IV Processor
Taken from the M11, the Q3 features the same 60MP full-frame CMOS sensor as the flagship rangefinder camera. This high-resolution sensor features a back-illuminated (BSI) design that offers improved noise performance and faster readout speeds, which benefits both photo and video applications. The higher resolution suits more detail-oriented applications, like landscape and architectural subjects, and the noise-reduction benefits of the BSI design improves clarity and color accuracy when working in low-light conditions with higher ISOs.
The added resolution of the 60MP sensor also enables unique digital zoom capabilities to simulate working with different focal length lenses: a 1.25x crop simulates a 35mm focal length, a 1.8x crop simulates a 50mm focal length, a 2.7x crop simulates a 75mm focal length, and a 3.2x crop simulates a 90mm focal length.
Triple Resolution Technology
Jumping past the M11, the Q3 introduces a new generation of processing with the Maestro IV. This processor, along with 8GB of buffer memory, suits the more multimedia-intended use of the Q3 and enables speedy performance when shooting stills or recording video. The faster processing also benefits using Triple Resolution Technology, helps achieve a wider sensitivity range from ISO 50-100000, allows continuous shooting up to an impressive 15 fps, and facilitates smooth operation when working with the EVF and LCD.
Summilux 28mm f/1.7 ASPH. Lens and Hybrid AF
Using the proven design from the past Qs, the Q3 inherits the Summilux 28mm f/1.7 wide-angle prime lens that provides a broad field of view and fast performance to suit working in a variety of environments and lighting conditions. As a lens designed specifically for the Q cameras, the optical design has been refined for high sharpness and low distortion along with a compact, functional profile that's discreet while providing room to make tactile adjustments to focus, aperture, and to switch to the dedicated macro focusing range for working with subjects as close as 6.7" away. Additionally, optical image stabilization helps to compensate for the effects of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting.
Leveraging the powerful processing and updated sensor design, one of the key upgrades in the Q3 is the inclusion of a hybrid AF system that utilizes phase-detection focusing along with contrast-detection and depth from defocus (DFD) AF for faster, more accurate focusing when working with moving subjects or in mixed lighting conditions. The addition of phase-detection focusing also enables an intelligent subject recognition system that can detect and track eyes, faces, bodies, and animals in the frame.
With more attention given to video recording, the Q3 is a well-rounded multimedia camera with video performance that rivals the exceptional stills capabilities.
- DCI 8K recording is supported at up to 30p with 4:2:0 10-bit color when recording internally or at 8-bit when recording externally via the micro-HDMI port.
- 4K recording is also possible, with 4:2:2 10-bit color, at up to 60p with support for recording internally or externally. When shooting Full HD, the frame rate can be pushed to 120p for slow motion playback and all resolutions also support a true 24p frame rate for cinematic rendering.
- ProRes 422 HQ recording can be done internally with a Full HD resolution at frame rates up to 60p.
- Micro-HDMI and USB-C ports provide greater access to accessories like external recorders, gimbals, power banks, and more to benefit using the Q3 as a tool for video creators.
Two of the key physical improvements to the Q3 include an updated electronic viewfinder and a newly designed rear LCD:
- 5.76m-dot OLED EVF offers a high-resolution eye-level means for composing and features a 120 fps refresh rate for more realistic motion rendering. This finder has a 0.79x magnification, an adjustable diopter, and an eye sensor for automatic switching between the EVF and LCD.
- For the first time in a Q, the Q3 sports a tilting LCD design that can face both upward and downward to suit working from a variety of shooting positions. This 3" 1.84m-dot LCD is also a touchscreen for more intuitive settings control.
The Q3 is a compact camera meant for everyday shooting and its design remains similar to previous generations, but with some notable updates for improved usability:
- New higher capacity BP-SCL6 lithium-ion battery is rated to provide 350 shots per charge and uses the same physical design as its predecessor, the BP-SCL4, which can also be used with this camera.
- Magnesium alloy body is sealed to protect against dust and moisture (IP52-rated) for use in harsh environmental conditions.
- New USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 port can be used for transferring, tethering, power delivery, and in-camera battery charging. The Q3 is also Made for iPhone certified to enable a direct, wired connection to an iPhone.
- Micro-HDMI port facilitates working with an external monitor and recorder as well as previewing footage from the camera directly on a TV.
- Accepts one SD-type memory card and supports the UHS II protocol.
- Improved wireless connectivity (Wi-Fi 2.4 & 5 GHz and Bluetooth 5.0) and an updated Leica FOTOS app enable wireless transfer speeds up to 10x faster than the previous generation; transfer speeds up to 35MB/s are now possible, enabling moving a full-resolution DNG from the camera to your mobile device in just 2 seconds.
- Upgraded Leica FOTOS app enables transferring new Leica Looks to your camera, including Contemporary, Classic, Blue, Selenium, Sepia, and more.
- FOTOS app also supports adding GPS information to your files using locational data from your mobile device.
- When paired with the optional HG-DC1 Wireless Charging Handgrip, the Q3 supports wireless battery charging via Qi-compatible charging mats, like the Drop XL Wireless Charger.